Solitude

Solitude

Sunday, January 8, 2012

Top Metal Albums 2011 #4

#4 Moonsorrow: Varjoina Kuljemme Kuolleiden Maassa
This would have been my #1 pick if tracks 2, 4 and 6 were missing. Why? Because I don't get them or maybe I am just too stupid to get the idea behind three short interludes without any music only footsteps, wind blowing or screams. Or wait, did I just get it? After all, this album is about the apocalypse, TEOTWAWKI (the end of the world as we know it). Anyway, due to the interludes I dropped them from #1 spot to #4. Seems unfair and cruel, but I am a huge Moonsorrow fan so I allowed myself to do that.


However the remaining four tracks display epic folk metal with atmosphere that really sends you across the abandoned, slained and burned villages. The hooded warriors wander across the frozen plains fighting coldness, hunger and fear. I read that Ville's vocals were recorded in the a small cottage in the middle of the woods to get that authentic feel. He nailed that project 100%.


Huuto is one of the greatest songs of 2011. Finnish metal album of the year. 
http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/Moonsorrow/Varjoina_Kuljemme_Kuolleiden_Maassa/294425

No comments:

Post a Comment